To qualify for state assistance the injured person needs to satisfy financial criteria about their capital and income. Once financial qualification is satisfied a S.47 assessment must be carried out by the Local Authority. Then physical or financial assistance will be provided. It is difficult to apply for these benefits and we will work with your solicitors to ensure you have assistance from case managers, medical and benefits experts to obtain and to maximise your entitlement so State Benefits.

How to obtain state benefits and support ...

Injured people have a right to receive NHS medical treatment and care and accommodation from the state.

Disabled Facilities Grants: A local council grant to help towards the cost of adapting your home to enable you to continue to live there. Paid when the council considers the changes necessary to meet your needs - and the work is reasonable and practical. You can claim if you, or someone living in your property, is disabled and: you, or the person on whose behalf you are applying, are either the owner or tenant of the property and you intend to occupy the property as your main residence throughout the grant period - currently five years. Types of work include: widening doors and installing ramps; improving access to rooms and facilities - e.g installing a stair lift; providing a downstairs bathroom; improving or providing a heating system which is suitable for your needs; adapting heating or lighting controls. An occupational therapist will look at your circumstances and will recommend the type of adaptation needed. Applications are to the housing or environmental health department of your local council. How much do you get? The amount paid is based on a 'means test' of your average weekly income in relation to your outgoings - or 'assessed needs'. There is no means testing for families of disabled children under 19. Means testing will take into account savings above a certain limit. Certain benefits - including Disability Living Allowance and/or Income Support - are generally ignored. If you have a partner, your combined income will be assessed. The first 6,000 of savings is disregarded. Depending on the outcome of this assessment the amount of financial assistance offered can vary from 0 to 100 per cent of the cost. Maximum grant amount 25,000 per - less any assessed contribution from you. If the cost of the eligible works is more, the council can use discretionary powers to increase the grant. Effect on other benefits A Disabled Facilities Grant will not affect any benefits you are getting. For further information click here to visit the Direct Gov website.

Contact us

and we will put you in touch with the best solicitors who will work with you and with us to make your claim a success.

Call Andrew Ritchie QC

Tel: 0207 832 0500